Home40 Things To Do Now I'm 40All About UsDisclosurePR Contact Me

Saturday 31 March 2012

Ice Cream Cone Cakes for Jacob

Birthdays are exciting for most people, but for a Grade One child whose birthday falls during school holidays, being able to celebrate with your entire class a week early is off the charts!  Now while Jacob enjoys a cupcake now and then, they’re just not really his favourite things. Last year, for his prep birthday, we made “teddies in cars” to share with his class.
 
This year, he wanted something different. We tossed around a few ideas, some which we are saving for his birthday party, and finally decided on “ice cream cone cakes”. Now, I was pretty happy with that decision as they are easy peasy to make. Want to know how??? Then keep reading because I was having so much fun making them I photo documented the whole thing :)
IMG_1642[1]
All we needed was:
* Packet of ice cream cones with flat bottoms
* Packet of cake mix
* Eggs
* Milk
* Baking tray lined with baking paper
* Frosting and decorations
* Your oven – preheated on around 150 degrees Celsius for a fan forced oven
* And of course my trusty Kenwood mixer (I really love her!!)
You could use any cake mix you like, packet or recipe, but for 67 cents a packet, the Coles Smart buy Vanilla Cake Mix is truly a BARGAIN! This will make 24+ “ice cream cone cakes” I made mine in 2 batches of 12 as I have a pissy little oven :(

IMG_1643[1]
Make up the cake mix as per instructions on the packet.  Layout 12 cones on the lined baking tray and fill each on with cake batter about HALF WAY otherwise you will have an explosion of batter hmmmmmm thinking I could make a variation of a volcano cake :)  
IMG_1646[1]
OK, you can see here there were a few I filled a little to much. Bake for about 20 minutes then leave to cool. I waited about 20 minutes before decorating.

IMG_1647[1]
Jacob decided that we would have 12 chocolate cones and 12 vanilla ones. I totally cheated with the frosting as I had 2 cans on frosting in the cupboard and honestly I just wanted to have a play with frosting in a can – BTW, it’s awesome :) I used the star nozzle and just went around like you would a soft serve cone.
Now I bet you’re thinking, ok smarty pants, how did you transport those babies to the classroom??? I was a little impressed with myself coming up with this idea. I used 2 cupcake couriers (thanks Fi for the loan of yours1) and stuck 2 sheets of A4 paper on them. Then I made little x’s in them for the cones to fit through.
IMG_1648[1]
And voila! An ice cream cone cake carrier! Simple huh!
IMG_1649[1]IMG_1650[1]
We chose to decorate the chocolate ones with rainbow choc chips so they looked all pretty.
IMG_1644[1]IMG_1645[1]
The vanilla frosted ones were dusted with chocolate sprinkles. Jacob was pretty darn impressed with his mother’s awesome skills in the kitchen and I was totally relieved that the plan worked as I didn’t have any time to make a back up as I had to work night shift.  We did have a little batter left over – enough for 15 little cupcakes, which lasted all of 5 minutes in this house :)
IMG_1651[1]
So, there you have it – a super easy/looks awesome alternative to plain old cupcakes and it looks like you totally slaved in the kitchen forever doing it. Oh, and your kid will think your awesome.
 
  Digital Parents Blog Carnival

5 comments:

  1. Oh my! They look SO COOL!!!! I know what I'm doing when the kids' birthdays come around......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were a huge hit with the kids and the teacher. Would love to see yours when you make them :)

      Delete
  2. I am totally copying this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see how yours turn out Joni :)

      Delete
  3. I've had a box of ice-cream cones sitting in the cupboard for ages, because we keep forgetting to get them out when we have ice-cream. We're definitely using them for these! Happy Birthday Jacob!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover